This series was designed to supplement traditional vocal instruction and works perfectly as preparatory literature for The First Book of Solos and The First Book of Solos Part II.
Each piece is in English and has a limited vocal range as well as a Piano accompaniment that is playable by a student pianist.
The pieces include art songs, folksongs, humorous songs and suitable vintage popular songs and are all appropriate for contest solos.
The accompanying CD includes professionally-recorded accompaniments.
- Aura Lee (Poulton)
- Beautiful Dreamer (Foster)
- The Erie Canal (Folksong)
- Foolish Questions (Folksong)
- Funiculi, Funicula (Denza)
- Go Down, Moses
- I Wish I Was Single Again (Beckel)
- If You Were the Only Girl in the World (Ayer)
- The Jolly Miller (arr. Manney)
- Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho
- The Lark in the Morn (arr. Sharp)
- The Lost Chord (Sullivan)
- The Minstrel Boy (arr. Weckerlin)
- Mrs. Murphy's Chowder (arr. Culli)
- Out of My Soul's Great Sadness (Franz)
- Request (Franz)
- Simple Gifts (Shaker song)
- Smick, Smack, Smuck (Sousa)
- Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child (arr. Burleigh)
- The Story of a Tack (Parks)
- Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
- Where Did You Get That Hat? (Sullivan)
- While Strolling Through the Park One Day
- You'll Miss Lots of Fun When You're Married (Sousa)