Joseph Haydn composed the string quartets known as Op.71/74, also called the 'Apponyi' Quartets, in 1793. The composer dated the autograph scores accordingly, although the year that appears on those of the B flat major and D major quartets shows signs of having been corrected. These two works might already have been finished in 1792. However it is certain that Op.71/74 were composed in Vienna during the period between Haydn's two journeys to England and intended as a series of six quartets.
The decision to divide the quartets into two sets of three was taken by the publishers. The three Quartets Op.71 were first published in 1795 by Corri, Dussek & Co., then in a slightly revised reprint by the Viennese publishing house of Artaria & Co.