In 1880 Richard Strauss began composing the 'Sonata for cello and piano' op. 6. Before it went to print in 1883 he revised the complete piece. Only the first movement remained unaltered. Strauss dedicated the 'Sonata for cello and piano' in F major to his friend Hans Wihan (at that time solo cellist with the court orchestra of Munich), who also took part in the premiere of the piece in Nuremberg.