The purpose of Composer's Desk Reference For The Classic Guitar is to provide the non-guitarist composer with the fundamental tools needed to write idiomatically for the Guitar. The first of its kind for the Guitar, the reference was written in consultation with dozens of composers and conceived with three types of end users in mind:
- Experienced composers with a concern for writing idiomatically for the guitar.
- Guitarists who are commissioning a work from a composer who has never written for the instrument.
- Libraries that wish to add this essential sourcebook to their music reference section.
The very structure of the book reflects the composer's own intuition by addressing such questions as:
- How is the guitar constructed?
- What does successful guitar music look like?
- How is the guitar played?
- How does the guitarist interpret music and express emotion?
- Which musical elements and gestures are most effective?
- How do these elements combine to create an effective pacing of idioms?
By examining the parameters of successfully written pieces, The Composer's Desk Reference For The Classic Guitar provides an expedient resource of ideas and illustrations contributing to the fluency of both first-time and seasoned Guitar composers.