Composed by Michel Mériot, 18 Etudes Variées is a set of studies for intermediate players. Written in French, English, German, Spanish and Italian, each study focuses on a technical aspect to help the player to improve.
1. Espièglerie - Accentuation
2. Giration - Smooth fingering
3. Méditation - Phrasing and air column
4. Fantaisie - Articulation
5. Sicilienne - Dotted rhythms
6. Badinage - Ties two by two
7. Mignonne - Phrasing
8. La Décidée - Articulation
9. Amusette - Staccato
10. L'entraînante - Ternary articulation
11. L'Éclopée - Asymmetrical bars
12. Jacasserie - Appogiaturas
13. L'Hésitante - Asymmetrical bars
14. Fileuse - Smooth fingering
15. La Martiale - Binary rhythms
16. La Mélodieuse - Phrasing
17. La Sautillante - Staccato
18. La Résolue - Articulation
Really helpful and quite nice to play, this set is a must-have for all intermediate Saxophone players.
Michel Mériot (1928-2003) is a French musician and saxophonist. He played for the French Navy before joining the Paris Conservatoire. He also worked with the French Police and composed some pedagogical volumes for Saxophone players.