Le Charbonnier is a song for SATB a cappella by Paul Ladmirault. The song was written with a main theme, two variations and a coda, and features a total of 5 verses. The lyrics remind us of a time when coal sellers came to town to sell merchandise.
To be sung a cappella, all in andantino, this song is very lyrical and has some polyphonic aspects and some merismas. Each verse contains different lyrics, all revolving around the coal seller and his life:
- Verse 1: this verse settles the action, with the seller trying to sell coal in the city
- Verse 2: the seller is asked how much is the cost of a pound of coal
- Verse 3: he is asked where his wife is
- Verse 4: the beauty of his wife is highlighted
- Verse 5: the seller explains why his shirt is so black
Paul Ladmirault (1877-1944) was a French composer. He composed numerous pieces including: operas, ballets, orchestral works, chamber music and vocal music.