Composed by the Czech composer Bohuslav Martinü in 1927, La Revue De Cuisine is a ballet initially created for a sextet. This score was reviewed and tailored for an Orchestra.
This ballet, talking about the life of kitchen utensils, is divided in ten sections:
1. Prologue (Allegretto)
2. Introduction (Tempo de marche)
3. Danse du moulinet autour du caudron (Poco meno)
4. Danse du chaudron et du couvercle (Allegro)
5. Tango (Danse d'amour. Lento)
6. Duel (Poco a poco allegro. Tempo di Charleston)
7. Entracte (Lamentation du chaudron. Allegro moderato)
8. Marche funèbre (Adagio)
9. Danse radieuse (Tempo di marche)
10. Fin du drame (Allegretto)
The story focuses on the marriage of the Pot and Lid which is put at risk by the Twirling Stick, and the music features some strong jazz influences.
Bohuslav Martinü(1890-1959) also wrote 13 other ballets, 15 operas and 6 symphonies and some orchestral and chamber music.
Instrumentation: Clarinet, Bassoon, Trumpet, Violin, Cello, Piano.