One of the foremost personalities in the world of Jazz Guitar, Larry Coryell has played against the best, and here presents an insight into his distinctive and fluid approach.
From bebop heroes Sonny Rollins and Charles Mingus to fusion superstars Chick Corea and John McLaughlin, Coryell's guitar playing has graced the recordings of the hottest stars in Jazz, making him a guitarist of huge reputation and respect.
In this special 'back-to-his-roots' DVD presentation, Coryell discusses his personal approach to the blues, fusing classic techniques and heritage with the intellect of the seasoned Jazz improviser. He begins with T-Bone Walker, moving through B.B. and Albert King to the more complex blues of Wes Montgomery before finally assessing the importance of the blues in the music of Miles Davis. Specific lessons include:
- The pentatonic scale and its intervals
- A transcription of a blues tribute to T-Bone Walker
- Bending notes in the style of B.B. King and Albert King
- Wes Montgomery's D-natural blues
- All Blues and the Miles Davis use of the 'Jazz' minor scale