One of the foremost personalities in the world of Jazz Guitar, Larry Coryell has played against the best, and here presents an insight into his distinctive and fluid approach.
From bebop heroes Sonny Rollins and Charles Mingus to fusion superstars Chick Corea and John McLaughlin, Coryell's guitar playing has graced the recordings of the hottest stars in Jazz, making him a guitarist of huge reputation and respect. In this three-part DVD series Coryell analyses his own Jazz perspective, providing an empirical method of solo and chord improvisation.
Volume three includes:
- Sweep picking, back picking, hybrid-picking triplets and applying these techniques
- Brazilian-orientated rhythm techniques
- Chords and basslines using just the fingers
- Comping on Coltrane's Giant Steps
- How to solo over Giant Steps using harmonic 'shortcuts' and unauthodox changes
- Reharmonization of the melody and the 'blowing' changes
- Reharmonization ideas as applied to Mingus's Goodbye Porkpie Hat
- The defining characteristics of advanced improvisation