Written for SATB choir and piano, with optional audience participation, Pas de deux is a work consisting of five movements by Paul Smith, the co-founder of VOCES8 and author of The VOCES8 Method. The movements can be performed individually or as one complete work. Pas de deux is inspired by the dance duet found in ballet, and the music takes the duet element of the dance to create a relationship between the performers and audience, enabling interaction between them and giving the option for performers and audience to make music together. Suitable for all ages, this piece offers opportunities both to create and to perform, informed by Paul Smith’s expertise in leading participatory music events with hundreds of thousands of people around the world.
- A five-movement work inspired by the dance, pas de deux
- Incorporates a wide range of musical styles, from contemporary classical to traditional Zulu
- Encourages a musical interaction between performer and audience
- Suitable for singers (and audiences) of all ages
- Incorporates well-known themes from the ballets of Tchaikovsky
- Paul Smith’s Pas de deux is part of the Edition Peters Choral Workshop Series.