The ultimate guide for the modern singer-songwriter, this invaluable book is chock-full of tips, tools and inspiration for both aspiring writers and those looking to take their craft and career to the next level. Author Jeffrey Pepper Rodgers draws on firsthand interviews with songwriting legends and rising stars; expert advice from managers, lawyers, agents and publishers; and his personal experiences as a performing songwriter. He offers this comprehensive companion for singer-songwriters as they transform their work from idea to song, and then to the stage, studio, and beyond.
This second edition features:
- A songwriter's guide to chord progressions
- Understanding song form and rhyme
- Dozens of songwriting games and exercises
- Essential info on copyrighting your songs, music publishing, and digital royalties
- An online companion to this book is available at completesingersongwriter.com with playlists and additional resources
This book also features songwriting tips and techniques from more than 100 artists, including Joni Mitchell, Rosanne Cash, John Mayer, Paul Simon, Jewel, Jeff Tweedy, Ani DiFranco, Jason Mraz, Brandi Carlile, Rodney Crowell, Jerry Garcia, James Taylor, John Fogerty, Richard Thompson, Dar Williams and more.