In this lesson, Fernando Perez teaches several evocative instrumentals from different world music styles. The tunes are performed in standard as well as alternative tunings. Fingerstyle techniques are used throughout the lesson. Two tunes are arranged for slide Guitar. Perez takes you on a globetrotting voyage where you will explore:
- How to understand the sound and techniques found in the music of the Balkans, Japan, Brazil, Hawaii, Malawi and Argentina and how to apply theses to the Guitar.
- Cool and unusual rhythms applied to the guitar in a way that goes further than just strumming chords, but also how to make guitar arrangements with these rhythms.
- Origins and relations between world music styles in order to better understand and perform them.
- Many interesting fingerstyle Guitar tricks and techniques.
- Main scales used in these instrumentals.
- Understanding grooves, how to feel and apply them as you play the music.
- How to further develop these tunes as well as creating new ones.
- New musical approaches coming from other cultures which will open up your vision as a player.
- New simple and easy Guitar tunings which will offer you a broader sound spectrum in your Guitar arrangements.
- Unusual slide techniques, ie. how to play behind the slide, uncommon chords and special tricks.
- A dynamic World Music repertoire full of variety.
Each tune is taught phrase by phrase and played slowly on a split-screen.
Titles include: Into the Balkans (Balkans), Samba para Ti (Brazil), Ame (Japan), Malawi Dance (Malawi), Kalani (Hawaii) and Tango/ Habanera (Argentina/Cuba).
120 minutes • Level 3 • Detailed tab/music PDF file on the DVD