In this lesson Fernando Perez presents several tunes from West Africa. Directly learnt from African Jalis (Griots) these are traditional as well as original compositions specially arranged for Guitar. Imitating the sound of West African instruments such as Kora, Ngoni or Balafon, Perez demonstrates unique techniques on the Guitar in order to perform the grooves and melodies in a faithful way. All the tunes can be played on nylon or acoustic steel string Guitars.
In this lesson you will learn:
- Understanding the sound and techniques of African instruments in order to apply them to the guitar.
- Different techniques imitating Kora scale runs, Balafon breaks, etc.
- Several grooves from Mali, Senegal, Gambia.
- How to properly keep these grooves counting, tapping, and feeling.
- Kora picking style with thumb and index.
- Main scales used in West African music.
- How West African music connects with Blues styles.
- Combining West African styles with your own Blues licks.
- Explanations on how to further develop this music style.
- A West African repertoire full of variety.
Each tune is taught phrase by phrase and played slowly on a split-screen.
Titles include: The Mandinka Song, Massina Madou, Fatoudiob, Sanu, Mali Blues and Kulanjan.
- 107 minutes
- Level 3
- Detailed tab/music PDF booklet on the DVD