The Saxophone is arguably the most iconic of all instruments, but with its graceful form and soulful tone it's easy to forget that it's still a machine. Like most machines, it needs maintenance, and even a slight fault in the mechanism can affect the way it feels and plays.
Using step-by-step examples and extensive photography, this innovative manual explains clearly and simply how the Saxophone works and what can be done to maintain it, as well as how to improve its performance with professional set-up techniques using few or no specialist tools.
- Choosing and buying a Saxophone
- The Saxophone in detail - how it works and what can go wrong
- Lubrication and preventing wear
- Removing and refitting the keywork
- Setting up the action - improving the feel and tweaking for performance
- Advanced repairs - replacing pads and springs
- Trouble-shooting common problems - tricks, tips and trade secrets
- Major problems - when to call on a repairer