Written by Janice Tucker Rhoda, author of the popular ABCs of Strings method, the Complete Technique For Double Bass series is designed for advanced beginners to upper level students wishing to learn or improve their left hand and right arm bow skills.
Starting in first position, and proceeding carefully through the higher positions, these method books use short studies to demonstrate specific technical ideas.
The book starts with solidifying the combination of note reading, rhythm, and bow distribution, then quickly progresses to a variety of bowing techniques and use of positions 1 - 7, half and thumb position, explaining the physicality of the left and right hands, arms, elbows, and shoulders. Using a mixture of more melodic studies with purely technical exercises, this book quickly gives players information and confidence to improve their playing.
Complete Technique For Double Bass - Book 1 covers and includes:
- Positions 1 through 7
- Half Position
- Bass, tenor and treble clefs
- Two octave C Major Scale to thumb position
- Advanced chromatic scale
- Basic thumb position
- Worksheets for note-reading
- Scales, arpeggios, broken thirds
- Improvisational melodies
- Double-Stops, chords, octaves
- Arm Swing left-hand and bow-arm technique
- Bow balancing exercises
- Ballet of Shifting exercises
- Quick Finger exercises
- Finger Substitution exercises
- Left-hand pizzicato exercises
- Teaching points throughout