Demonstrating the range and popularity of Bach piano transcriptions during the early twentieth century, this volume brings together arrangements from notable British musical figures, including Myra Hess, Leonard Borwick, Harriet Cohen, and William H. Harris.
The collection includes exuberant fantasias and fugues, gentle transcriptions from instrumental works, and popular chorales such as 'Jesu, joy of man's desiring' and 'Bist du bei mir'. With an introduction by David Owen Norris, Bach Transcriptions for Piano is the perfect resource for all intermediate to advanced pianists wishing to further explore Bach's music.
- Seventeen contrasting Bach transcriptions originally published separately by OUP from 1925 to 1954
- Pieces carefully selected by Michael Aston, and re-engraved for this publication
- Contributions by eminent figures in the British classical music scene of the period
- Arrangements of choral and instrumental works
- Introductory notes by the celebrated pianist and broadcaster David Owen Norris
- Ideal companion volume to A Bach Book for Harriet Cohen - 9780193392229