Of Haydn’s numerous operas, only “L'Isola Disabitata” (The Deserted Island) has a librett by Pietro Metastasio. The plot recedes into the background in favour of the fine psychological interpretation of the feelings of the four protagonists. There are no more secco recitatives; instead the arias and ensembles and the commenting scenes with their emotionally-laden orchestral accompaniment are merged together in greater unities. The gloomy tone colours of the overture and the experimental form show the short, 90-minute chamber opera – called an “operetta” by Haydn himself – in a striking distance from Italian Baroque opera, perceptible even now.
The new Vocal score is based on Vol. XXV/9 of the Haydn Edition.
- Based on the Urtext of the Complete Edition of “Joseph Haydn Werke”, published by G. Henle Verlag.
- Original Italian text, with German singing translation.
- Vocal score with clearly-marked, incorporated original variants and alternative versions in an appendix.
- Editorial additions in cue-sized notes.
- Detailed foreword (Ger/Eng).
- Performance material available for hire (BA4664-72)