The original version of this work, scored for chamber orchestra, was written in 1950 in response to a commission from Warsaw Radio. In the following year the composer revised and slightly extended the work and rescored it for symphony orchestra. The first performance was given by the Warsaw Radio Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Grzegorz Fitelberg, in Warsaw in April 1951.
The work uses folk melodies from the village of Machow in the region of Rzeszow, east of Cracow. Duration c.11 mins. Full score and orchestral parts available on hire from the publisher.