is an innovative teaching resource for music in early years and primary education. It embraces singing as a means of accessing all areas of the curriculum, to develop the whole child, with natural progression and links between age groups and subject matter.
At the heart of the book are 24 carefully written songs covering popular school topics. Each song is tailored to Early Years (3-5), Key Stage 1: Year 1 (5-6), or Key Stage 1: Year 2 (6-7), and comes equipped with a host of activity ideas designed for classroom use. Suitable for specialists and non-specialists alike, Voicelinks guarantees successful learning outcomes across the curriculum.
- 24 songs about colour, the weather, travel, celebrations, and much more
- Tailored to children aged 3-5, 5-6 and 6-7 (early years and lower primary)
- Comprehensive teaching notes for preparing-teaching-developing the song and topic
- An outline of the curriculum links for each song, showing related skills and areas of learning
- Professionally recorded CD, with demos for all songs and backings for KS1 songs
- Songs with notated Piano accompaniments or optional pupils' percussion parts
- Additional learning resources, including picture-cards and illustrations
- Photocopiable vocal scores, percussion parts, and supporting resources
Sue Nicholls and Peter Hunt
Peter Hunt is Head of Voice for Berkshire Young Musicians Trust and the inspiration behind OUP's successful Voiceworks series. He has a wide experience of school teaching at primary and seconday levels, and was co-founder of the highly acclaimed Oxfordshire Youth Chamber Choir. From 2000-2002 he was also an Advisory Teacher for the county's vocal strategy. His extensive experience as a choral animateur, workshop leader, conductor, and arranger, and his career in education have contributed directly to his understanding of the needs of young singers.
Following a successful career as a primary music specialist, Sue Nicholls became an Advanced Skills Teacher, a post which allowed her to follow her particular passion within music education: the support of the generalist teacher. Her books to date, including Bobby Shaftoe Clap Your Hands, Music Express [Foundation Stage] and The Handy Band, demonstrate an accessible and practical approach to delivering the music curriculum, and she has contributed songs to other books, including Singing Sherlock 1 & 2 and Voiceworks at Christmas. Sue has been a music consultant for 'Music Box', an Early Years BBC radio programme, and currently delivers teachers' courses and singing training nationwide, working as a freelance music education consultant and also as an advocate for 'Sing Up'.